HEMP YARN // Something I really wanted to improve on with the re-release of these shoes was the yarn they were made from. After many months of researching and testing, hemp yarn was the one thread that championed above the rest time and time again. It’s known to be the strongest natural fibre in the world, it's environmentally friendly, easy to crochet with, and feels oh so nice to wear.
I think of hemp as a super plant, with every part of the plant usable for either food, building, textiles, paper, body care or industrial products.
Unfortunately hemp became illegal in the 1930’s when it was perceived to be a threat to a number of industries, including pulp and paper, oil and medicine, and certain powerful people had personal stakes in preventing hemp’s success.
Here’s a few other facts you may not know about the hemp plant:
- Hemp produces twice as much fibre per acre as cotton
- Hemp uses less than 4 times the amount of water that cotton needs to grow
- Hemp requires no pesticides and is a natural weed deterrent
- Hemp fibre is 4x more durable than cotton
- Hemp has a deep root system that helps to prevent soil erosion, removes toxins, provides a disease break, and aerates the soil to the benefit of future crops.
- It's quick growth; germination to maturity takes between 80-120 days, vs decades or more for trees (depending on the crops intended use)
- Hemp seeds have up to 24% protein
- Hemp seeds have all the amino acids that human bodies needs but cannot produce.
- Hemp fibres are mildew and microbe resistant
I am so pleased with how these shoes look and feel - largely thanks to the hemp yarn - and know you will feel the difference when they are on your feet too!