After many months of researching and testing, I am confident that I have found the perfect yarn to use to ensure a strong, comfortable, resiliant, eco-friendly shoe.
Hemp yarn is known to be the strongest natural fiber in the world, it's environmentally friendly, easy to crochet with, and feels oh so nice to wear.
I think of hemp as a super plant, with every part of the plant usable for either food, building, textiles, paper, body care or industrial products.
Here’s a few other facts you may not know about the hemp plant:
- Hemp produces twice as much fiber per acre as cotton
- Hemp uses less than 4 times the amount of water that cotton needs to grow
- Hemp requires no pesticides and is a natural weed deterrent
- Hemp fiber is 4x more durable than cotton
- Hemp has a deep root system that helps to prevent soil erosion, removes toxins, provides a disease break, and aerates the soil to the benefit of future crops.
- It's quick growth; germination to maturity takes between 80-120 days, vs decades or more for trees (depending on the crops intended use)
- Hemp seeds have up to 24% protein
- Hemp seeds have all the amino acids that human bodies needs but cannot produce.
- Hemp fibres are mildew and microbe resistant
I am so pleased with how these shoes look and feel - largely thanks to the hemp yarn - and know you will feel the difference when they are on your feet too!